Post no.1 - Formal Letter
08 September 2019
Subject: Self- Introduction
Dear Madam Fazilah
I, Ganesan Somnath, am writing this letter to introduce myself formally. I graduated from BCA Academy with a diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Green Building Technology). I chose Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building services) as my undergraduate course, because I would like to play a part in the era where we are trying to co-exist with nature. As the industry turning towards environmentally friendly structures, there are a lot of job opportunities in this sector.
Skills are essential in day-to-day life; one communication strength I am proud of is being a good listener. Being a active listener helps to pay close attention to important or small details in a personal conversation or in a meeting and able to give feedback hence, a better problem solver. It makes the person feel important and have a healthier interpersonal relationship.
There is a weakness which I am aware of but difficult to overcome it, that is stage fright. when I engage in public speaking, I tend to have anxiety, cold sweat, stutter, and usually tend to skip a word or sentences so I can end my presentation faster. The reason is because of my over-thinking about grammar, sentence structure, and the embarrassment when I make a mistake.
The two goals I have for the module are: the first goal is to improve my technical writing skill and the second goal is to improve my public speaking skill so I can be a confident communicator. I look forward to learning and re-learn from you in the upcoming class, so I can implement your teaching in my future career.
Yours sincerely
Somnath
SIE(BS)
Hello Somnath, I can relate to your weakness too! Sometimes when I am presenting, my brain would start to think of how weird I may sound, why are the audience laughing, could it be that I made a mistake somewhere while I am presenting and many more! But do not worry as I believe that we will be able to slowly improve! I wish you all the best in achieving your goals! :)
ReplyDeleteHi somnath, your weakness is very relatable as I used to be in your shoes to. Practice makes perfect! Slowly build up your confidence when presenting and whenever you make a mistake, do not panic and just go with the flow. Hope that after this module, you are able overcome your stage fright.
ReplyDeleteHi Somnath,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your self-introduction, your love for nature and how you want to co-exist with it are one of a traits that I respect. I can empathize with your fear of public speaking but I believe the causes are the lack of confidence we both share for public speaking. I enjoyed working with you in group works and I always look forward to the attention and your impeccable skills you have shown in problem solving you always bring to the table. I hope that in due time we are able to overcome the fear of public speaking and become much confident speakers.
Cheers,
Jue Qiang
Dear Somnath
ReplyDeleteThank you for your email.
I like how you have linked the importance of listening skills at work and even our interpersonal relationships.
You are not alone when it comes to stage fright. Most people do not enjoy public speaking. You need to give yourself as many speaking opportunities as possible and with the skills we will learn in this module, I hope you will speak confidently and without fear.
Best wishes for the module and your journey at SIT!
Kind regards
Faz (Mdm)